Epsom salt is not actually salt but a naturally occurring pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate. This mineral compound is packed with numerous health benefits. The magnesium and sulfate get absorbed through the skin and thus Epsom salt baths are a powerful way of maximizing its health benefits. Due to its magnesium content, Epsom salt has the ability to reduce inflammation, help muscle and nerve function, and prevent artery hardening. On the other hand, sulfates help improve the absorption of nutrients, eliminate toxins, and help ease migraine headaches.
Health Benefits of Epsom Salt Baths
One of the simplest ways to get the benefits of Epsom salt is to soak in a tub full of hot water with a few cups of Epsom Salt. Some of the most powerful benefits of Epsom salt include:
- Makes insulin more effective
- Relieves constipation
- Eliminates toxins from the body
- Eases stress and relaxes the body
- Relieves pain and muscle cramps
- Helps muscles and nerves function properly
- Helps prevent hardening of arteries and blood clots
How to Take an Epsom Salt Bath?
You will need about 40 minutes for the Epsom Salt bath because the body needs 20 minutes to eliminate toxins and additional 20 minutes to absorb magnesium and sulfate. The basic thing when it comes to this bath is to add Epsom salt.
Here is in what amounts:
- ½ cup of salt for children under 60 lbs
- 1 cup of salt for people between 60-100 lbs.
- 1 ½ cup of salt for people between 100-150 lbs.
- 2 cups of salt for people between 150-200 lbs.
- ½ cup of salt more for every 50lbs larger.
Moreover, you can add other ingredients to your bath to improve its smell and properties. Hence, feel free to add ½ cup of olive oil to improve the antioxidant properties of the bath and ginger or cayenne powder, which will improve the detoxification process.
Note: Make sure you don’t use any kind of soaps while soaking your body in the Epsom salt bath.